Sunday, May 24, 2009

carpe diem...

...seizure the day.

apparently that's how ryan interpreted it. because today he decided to scare the living daylights out of us and have a seizure.

he had a slight fever this afternoon, probably due to cutting new teeth. so i put him down for his nap and when he got up later he was still pretty warm. after we read a few books i had to take a potty break so i sat him in a chair and let him watch tv. when i came back in the living room he had his head way back and was staring up at the ceiling so i said "whatcha doin' ryan?" when he didn't move his head to look at me i said again, "ryan... ryan... RYAN!!" it was then that i noticed his whole upper body spasming and convulsing. i picked him up, made sure he wasn't choking on his teddy grahams, and yelled at samantha to get daddy.

samantha lost it. she started bawling.

i freaked out. told ben "something's wrong with him!!! we need to go to the hospital!!!"

ben stayed calm. bless his heart he stayed calm! he took ryan and laid him on the floor and told me to call 911.

"911--all circuits are busy. DO NOT HANG UP THE PHONE. stay on the phone. all circuits are busy. DO NOT HANG UP THE PHONE." seriously?!

ryan's eyes were open, but he wouldn't look at us or respond to anything we did. so then ben said we needed to go to the hospital... but i couldn't hang up the phone! just then the operator came on and transferred me to someone who asked me what was all happening. he sent the paramedics and they arrived in a timely manner. lights and sirens and everything. it was almost a little embarrassing!

by the time they got here ryan had stopped seizing. only he was really dazed and almost in a trance. they checked him (and his awesome hair) out and i told them all of the symptoms and they agreed that he had a febrile seizure, or fever seizure. these are common in children--1 in 25 children has had one. way to be in the 4% ryan! they offered to take him to the hospital if we wanted, but didn't seem like it was too urgent. after discussing our options with them, we decided to stay home and watch ryan closely for the rest of the night. they said it takes about 30 minutes after a person has a seizure to get back to normal because of brain overload. they waited until ryan was a little more like himself, then they left us with some nicely written instructions.

and ryan recouped with sissy (who was now watching him VERY closely for us!) while ben and i breathed!

he was back to his normal 97.7 degree self tonight. we went outside and he had fun swinging and playing with the ball. and he also figured out how to get away with only have cheetos and yogurt and NOT his jelly sandwich for dinner--have a seizure and make mommy feel sorry for you!

hey, what can i say? it's also a good excuse for mommy to have some chocolate and ice cream!


Alicia said...

Bless his little heart! I am so glad it wasnt too serious. That must have been so scary for all of your! I am glad he is doing better know! Have a wonderful Memorial Day!

Ashley said...

He does have awesome hair! But seriously how scary! I'm so glad everything is okay and that its fairly typical (rather than being something more serious). I hope he feels better through the night and tomorrow!

Keeping you in my thoughts tonight!


Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I would have freaked out! Thank goodness he is okay, and that all has returned to normal. I'll say an extra little prayer for you guys today that you NEVER have to go through that again!

Ace said...

Oh, I am not good in situations like that. Peanut choked on something when she was about 20 months old. I was large and in charge at first and immediately grabbed her, holding her upside down against my arm and hitting her back (used to be the correct heimlich for infants, not sure if it's still the same) but when it didn't work I totally freaked out. 911 was taking their sweet time talking us through it before they'd send an ambulance. I was screaming and gagging (was pregnant with twins and almost throwing up too) in the background because she was completely blue and they still hadn't called for the ambulance when Superman finally got it out of her. It was so scary.
Anyway, glad he's better!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I am so scared FOR you. What a trip you took yesterday, without going anywhere. I sure hope today goes SO much better for you.

Jess(ica) said...

Yeah, so scary! Glad he is okay.. can't even imagine how you must have felt!

And yes... he has super awesome hair!

Meghan said...

Oh I am SO glad that he is okay!! He is absolutely adorable with that faux-hawk.
It sounds like you all came together in a scary moment. It is scary things like this that remind me to take a moment and remember those that are important to me.
I hope he is doing better today!

Stephanie said...

Glad he is doing better. I hope you guys are recovering!

A day in the Life... said...

I am glad he is doing better!

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

I'm so thankful for you that Ben stayed calm! How scary!!! I'm glad Ryan is okay!

This story freaked me out - Annalyn had a fever most the weekend. Here's hoping she's not in the 4% - and that Ryan never has this happen again!!! Poor little guy!!!

Brooke said...

OMG, I'm so glad he was okay. I can't imagine how scary this must have been. (My cousin's daughter had a febrile seizure too.) Whew, see what I miss when I step away from the computer for so long?